Don Hamilton Campaign Contribution
To receive a rebate:
- Contributors must be individual residents in Ontario.
- Contribution must be in the form of cash, cheque, money order or credit card.
- Corporations or Trade Unions may NOT contribute to a candidate’s campaign.
- Contributors must apply to the City for the rebate using the prescribed form and within the designated time frame.
- Contributors may donate up to $1,200 to one or more candidates but the maximum rebate to any one contributor will not exceed $350 in total.
- A contributor shall not make contributions exceeding a total of $5,000 to candidates for office on the same Council.
- A rebate will be issued no earlier than the end of June 2019, providing there is no contravention of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 by either the candidate or contributor and that deadline was met.
|Contribution to Candidate’s Campaign||Formula to Calculate Rebate|
|$50 — $300||75% of contribution to a maximum contribution rebate of $225|
|$301 — $550||$225 plus 50% of contribution between $301 — $550 to a maximum contribution rebate of $350|
|$551 — $1,200||A $350 contribution rebate is issued|
If a contributor makes a contribution of over $100.00, their name and address must be reported in the candidate’s financial disclosure and will be posted on the City’s website.
Markham Bylaw 2018-17 allows for the payment of a rebate to individuals who make contributions to candidates for Markham Council in the 2018 Municipal Election. Candidates are required to follow the requirements of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 and comply with Bylaw 2018-17.